Below is a series of drills we’ve identified as being easy to do at home with a partner or individually. I’ll be adding to this list as the season progresses. These drills have been used in our practices so the players should be somewhat familiar with them.
11 Ball Handling Progressions – Go HERE All you need is a chair (or something similar) and basketball
Crossover Move – Go HERE
Reverse Between the Legs Crossover – Go HERE
Four Dribble Combo Continuous – Inside Out, Crossover, Between the Legs, Behind the Back
Cannon Layups – Ball starts in the right hand. Player goes between the legs 2x in stationery position and then explodes for a layup.
Live Ball Footwork –
- Player pound dribbles with RH and then makes a game like jab with their left foot in a 45 degree angle. Jab should be short and quick. After the jab the player returns to the square position with both feet pointing forwards. Repeat for 30 seconds.
- Player pound dribbles with RH and then makes jab with right foot. Repeat for 30 seconds.
- Player pound dribbles with RH and then makes crossover step with left foot crossing over to right side. Repeat for 30 seconds.
- Hip Swivels – RH pound and hip swivel. Repeat for 30 seconds.
- Crossovers – One dribble pound and then crossover. Repeat for 30 seconds.
Key to any of the shooting drills is simulating “game” shots vs. casually putting up shots without making a game like move or going at game speed.
Partner Shooting Drill – Go HERE
Screen Shooting – Go HERE
Form Shooting – Grip, Set, Fire, Pose
- Pocket Stuff Shots
- Pound Pocket Stuff Shots
- Land Wider Shots
- Wrong way twist shooting
On all of the form shooting drills, make sure the player is extending both arms fully and the balance hand isn’t falling to the side on the shot. Shooting hand fingers pointing down into the basket with the balance hand framing the backboard.