We introduced the players to a 7 minute workout they could do on their own in the driveway, at a playground or in the gym. Players will need a basketball, timer, three cones (or equivalent) and two chairs (or equivalent).
If you don’t have chairs to place outside, place some trash cans that you can sit the basketball on for the curl shooting portion. If you don’t have cones, put anything on the ground to serve as your target for the W-Out layups, attack pull ups, catch and shoot 3’s, etc.
The player will perform each skill for the designated time. Each rep will earn a point(s) as referenced. At the end of the 7 minutes, the player will earn a score. We encourage the players to keep a journal / record of their scores.
- Pound and Cross – 30 seconds (1 pt for each rep)
- Pound and Between Legs – 30 seconds (1 pt for each rep)
- W-Out Layups – 1 minute (1 pt for each made layup)
- Cones are placed at the two wings (FT Line extended just beyond the 3 point line and at the top of the key). Players will start under the basket and dribble the ball around the cone (outside the cone) and finish at the basket for a layup. Players will work their way around the 3 point line starting at Left Wing, Center, Right Wing and then repeating for the 1 minute.
- Two Free Throws – 30 seconds (1 pt for each made shot)
- Chair Curls – 1 minute (2 pts for each made shot)
- Place the chairs at each elbow. Players will place the ball on the chair, sprint to get under the basket and then make a curl cut, picking up the ball before taking a shot. Players should go on the outside of the chair so they are curling towards the middle for the shot.
- Attack to Pull Ups – 1 minute (2 pts for each made shot)
- Players start 6 feet beyond the cones placed on the two wings. Players will make an attack move, getting past the cones, for a pull up jump shot.
- Catch and Shoot 3’s – 1 minute (3 pts for each made shot)
- Players will pound the ball into the air to simulate a pass being caught in the air. Players will take a shot from behind the cones on each wing. (Younger players should take shots inside the 3 point line from each wing)
- Size up 3’s – 1 minute (3 pts for each made shot)
- Players will start 6 feet beyond the cones on each wing and make a between legs move, crossover, inside out or behind the back to “size up” the defender. Players will take a pull up jump shot from behind the cones. (Younger players should take shots inside the 3 point line from each wing)
- Free Throws – 30 seconds (3 pts for each made FT)
* If you scored 170 or higher, you have Elite-level PG skills
* If you scored between 145 –170, you have Intermediate-level PG skills
* If you scored less than 145, KEEP WORKING!
Cross – Pounds
Catch and Shoot 3’s
Size Up 3’s